The following is a summary of historical and archived financial and budgetary reporting. Please click on each of the sections to expand for these archived report.
Annual Financial Reports
The Annual Financial Report is a summary of the activities of the County, including details on the County, Elected Officials, Administration, Financial Position & Highlights, Financial Statements, and Statistics. Note that 2015 was the first year that the annual report was generated by Vulcan County, and was submitted to the Government Finance Officers Association for consideration of the Canadian Award for Financial Reporting (CAnFR).
- 2022 Annual Financial Report – Review in process
- 2021 Annual Financial Report – CAnFR Award
- 2020 Annual Financial Report – CAnFR Award
- 2019 Annual Financial Report – CAnFR Award
- 2018 Annual Financial Report – CAnFR Award
- 2017 Annual Financial Report – Not Eligible for CAnFR
- 2016 Annual Financial Report – CAnFR Award
- 2015 Annual Financial Report – CAnFR Award
The Canadian Award for Financial Reporting (CAnFR) program was established to encourage municipal governments throughout Canada to publish high quality financial reports and provide peer recognition and technical guidance for officials preparing these reports. In order to be awarded a Canadian Award for Financial Reporting, a government unit must publish an easily readable and efficiently organized annual financial report, whose contents conform to program standards. Such reports should go beyond the minimum requirements of generally accepted accounting principals and demonstrate an effort to clearly communicate the municipal government’s financial picture, enhance an understanding of financial reporting by municipal governments, and address user needs.
The Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) established the Canadian Award for Excellence in Financial Reporting Program (CAnFR Program) in 1986 to encourage and assist Canadian local governments to go beyond the minimum requirements of generally accepted accounting principles, as set by the Public Sector Accounting Board of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, to prepare comprehensive annual financial reports that evidence the spirit of transparency and full disclosure and then to recognize individual governments that succeed in achieving that goal.
Annual Financial Statements
Over the last couple years, in accordance with the Municipal Government Act, Section 280, County Council has appointed BDO Canada Ltd. as our independent auditor to report on the annual financial statements of the County. The auditors’ responsibility is to express an opinion on whether or not the financial statements are presented fairly, in all material respects, in accordance with the Canadian Public Sector Accounting Standards.
- 2022 Audited Financial Statements
- 2021 Audited Financial Statements
- 2020 Audited Financial Statements
- 2019 Audited Financial Statements
- 2018 Audited Financial Statements
Prior Financial Statements
- 2017 Audited Financial Statements
- 2016 Audited Financial Statements
- 2015 Audited Financial Statements
- 2014 Audited Financial Statements
- 2013 Audited Financial Statements
- 2012 Audited Financial Statements
- 2011 Audited Financial Statements
- 2010 Audited Financial Statements
- 2009 Audited Financial Statements
Although there are financial statements proceeding 2009, the archived reports are limited to going back to 2009 at this time.
Other Financial Reporting
The Other Financial Reporting includes multiple operating and capital reports. These are supplemental information to provide additional details on the finances of the County. The Quarterly Operating Reports are to indicate the County’s revenues and expenditure in comparison to budget and forecast. Note that 2016 is the first year that the 1st quarter reporting was completed (based on interim budget); whereas in prior years, the reporting was based on the final approved budgets.
- 2019 – Yearend Operating and Capital Report – N/A*
- 2019 – 3rd Quarter Operating Report – N/A*
- 2019 – 2nd Quarter Operating Report – N/A*
- 2019 – 1st Quarter Operating Report – N/A*
N/A* indicating that these reports were not produced during the related year.
Prior Financial Reporting
Annual Budget Reports
The Annual Budget Report is a summary of the budgeted activities of the County, including details on the County, Strategic Plan and Budget Priorities, the Budget Process, Operating and Capital Budgets, Tax Rates, Reserves, and many other budget details. Note that 2017 was the first year that the annual report was generated by Vulcan County, and was submitted to the Government Finance Officers Association for consideration of the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award.
- 2023 Annual Budget Report – Budget Award
- 2022 Annual Budget Report – Budget Award
- 2021 Annual Budget Report – Budget Award
- 2020 Annual Budget Report – Budget Award
- 2019 Annual Budget Report – Budget Award
- 2018 Annual Budget Report – Budget Award
- 2017 Annual Budget Report – Budget Award
In order to receive the Distinguished Budget Presentation award, a governmental unit must publish a budget document that meets program criteria as a policy document, as an operations guide, as a financial plan, and as a communication device. The Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) established the Distinguished Budget Presentation Awards Program (Budget Awards Program) in 1984 to encourage and assist state and local governments to prepare budget documents of the very highest quality that reflect both the guidelines established by the National Advisory Council on State and Local Budgeting and the GFOA’s best practices on budgeting and then to recognize individual governments that succeed in achieving that goal.
Approved Budgets and Information
Vulcan County Council passes an Interim Operating and Capital Budget in December for the upcoming budget year. The Final Operating and Capital Budget is passed in April once Property Assessment and Provincial Requisitions are received. The tax rates are also established at this time.
Prior Budgets and Information
Operating & Capital Budget Plans
The County has adopted a three (3) year written Operating Plan and a five (5) year written Capital Plan in accordance with Section 283 of the Municipal Government Act (MGA).
- 2023-2025 Operating and Capital Plans (December 2022)
- 2022-2024 Operating Plans (December 2021)
- 2021-2023 Operating and Capital Plans (December 2020)
- 2020-2022 Operating and Capital Plans (December 2019)
- 2019-2021 Operating and Capital Plans (December 2018)
- 2018-2020 Operating and Capital Plans (December 2017)
- 2017-2019 Operating and Capital Plans (April 2017 update)
- 2017-2019 Operating and Capital Plans (December 2016)