Planning & Development

If you are planning to build, modify or change a structure, or change the way you are using your land, a development permit will likely be required. See here for a list of developments that do not require a permit. (Sched 3)What you are allowed to develop on your property depends on its "land use zoning". In the Land Use Bylaw, each land use designation contains a list of "discretionary" and "permitted" uses allowed.  If you do not see your proposed development listed as a use, you may be required to amend the Land Use Bylaw and rezone your property first.

To find out what your land use designation is, follow this link to VC Maps and proceed as follows:

  1. Click on the icon indicating Guest Login
  2. Once VC Maps initializes, hover your mouse over the “Search” tab, in the top left corner, then hover over “Property”, then choose whichever search function you have information for (example: if you know the Legal Land Description, click on Legal Description)
  3. Type the address into the bar and click submit. The results should appear in the left hand column.
  4. Along the toolbar at the top of the screen is a tab labelled “Legend” click on it. Find the “Development” label in the list and click the “+” to expand it.
  5. Click on the “+” next to “Land Use Zoning” to expand the list and ensure the box next to it is checked. The map should change to a colour gradient that will correspond with the matching zoning listed in the legend. If it does not appear, ensure the “Orthophotos” box at the bottom of the list is unchecked. The colour gradient should appear.
  6. If you have any problems, call the Development Admin Assistant at (403) 485-3135, or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for additional assistance.

If you already know your land use designation, click on the Land Use Bylaws Schedules below for the appropriate section of the land use bylaw.

Planning & Development Quick Links

  • What you are allowed to develop on your property depends on its "land use zoning". To find out your land
    Read More
  • If the development you are pursuing is not listed as a permitted or discretionary use, then rezoning to a different
    Read More
  • Vulcan County is a partner in the Oldman River Regional Services Commission (ORRSC) as such ORRSC is responsible for all
    Read More
  • Rural Addressing is a standardized system of identifying and locating rural properties. This system will aid emergency response personnel, utility
    Read More
  • Notifications for Development Permits, Bylaw Amendments, and Statutory Plans (Area Structure Plan, Municipal Development Plan)
    Read More

Vulcan County

Vulcan County, conveniently located in beautiful sunny southern Alberta, is a vibrant and progressive rural community with prime farming, ranching, residential, leisure and recreation opportunities. Strategically situated one hour south of Calgary and one hour north of Lethbridge, we offer a rich quality of life in a rural setting.

General Contact Info

 Box 180, 102 Centre St. Vulcan, AB
 (403) 485-2241
 (403) 485-2920

Keep in Touch